Sunday, August 1, 2010

Sunday Sprint: A Brisk Look at Correction

A Bible verse I stumbled upon today:

7 Anyone who rebukes a mocker will get an insult in return. Anyone who corrects the wicked will get hurt.


8 So don’t bother correcting mockers; they will only hate you. But correct the wise, and they will love you.


9 Instruct the wise, and they will be even wiser. Teach the righteous, and they will learn even more.

Proverbs 9:7-9 (New Living Translation)
Sometimes we can have the best intentions in trying to correct others. We may simply want them to know the truth. We're not trying to be mean or insulting. We're just trying to help others understand. Regardless of our intentions, however, we get a snide remark, a sarcastic comeback, or a rude comment in return.

It can be tempting to get drawn into an argument with people like this. We need to remember to keep our cool and just turn the other way. It's a waste of time and effort to try to convince someone who is antagonistic towards your views. Don't get mad. Get humble.

On the flip side, we often are quick to get defensive ourselves when someone corrects us of poor behavior or wrong thinking. Remember that correction leads to learning, and learning leads to wisdom.

Strive to be wise. Not a "wise guy".

God,
Help me to keep my cool when my well-intentioned corrrections are met with hostility. Help me to know when to just turn around and let people hold onto their ignorance.
I also ask that you please keep me from becoming a "mocker". Don't let me get too prideful to learn from my mistakes and the wisdom of others. Help me to value wisdom instead of scoffing at it.
Thanks,
-Me

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for stoping by my blog... it's always great to meet fellow bloggers. So, you have me curious ~ who is our mutual friend?

    I wish you all the best as you start laying your heart out... my best advice. Be you, be real and raw, and in all things show love.
    ~M

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.