Friday, August 13, 2010

Dear Lost Friend,

I am a Christian. You are not.

I love you dearly. I know it bothers you that I can't let you have your beliefs and keep mine to myself. I know that our world teaches tolerance, but when it comes to this I just can't stand by in silence and "tolerate" your self-destruction.



You see, my beliefs teach me about Love and Salvation. From where I'm standing, I can see that the path you're on is heading towards a cliff. You scold me for being rude in my attempts to correct your path. I plead with you to see the danger ahead. The closer and closer you get to the edge, the more desperate I become in my attempts to sway you.

From your perspective, you can only see the sunny horizon ahead. You are enjoying your freedom and having fun. You are happy with your path and are happy to let others have theirs. You do not understand why I am so concerned with changing your path. But there is something missing... I know you can feel it. There is no bridge ahead...and I know where to find that Bridge!

You must understand, I would not be a very good friend if I did not at least try to point out the cliff ahead. It would be the worst kind of evil to see a friend headed towards peril and say nothing--do nothing--only sit back and watch you fall. My apparent intolerance for your path is truly out of love and the sincerest concern one person can have for another. I have no hidden agenda. I am not trying to prove a point or to "win". Quite the contrary, I wish for you to win. To find the path to eternal life is, after all, a prize well worth the change in direction.

But, dear friend, I do not want to hasten you towards the cliff in my attempts to change your path. I've cautioned you, I've warned you, I've pleaded with you. There is nothing more I can do. It is up to God to speak to your heart; and it is up to you to choose to listen. I must now continue down my path. There are others--so many others--who are heading towards cliffs of their own. I need to warn them too, before it is too late.

Sincerely, Lovingly, and Humbly,
Your "Intolerant" Christian Friend

(Or... if you prefer... a fellow Atheist, Penn, sums up the same sentiment here)

2 comments:

  1. this is great! I'm currently experiencing this tug with a friend of mine caught in the sin of homosexuality. He's decided to carry on towards the cliff and I'm so upset (and he knows it), we've agreed not to talk about it anymore, because of this-I guess all I can do is go down on my knees for him everyday and plead God steps in before its too late.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I admire your compassion for your friend! I'll add my prayers to yours for your friend.

    I know one of the hardest things for me to do is to step back and let God do His thing in my friends' lives. But I guess God can do way more than I ever could on my own.

    All the best!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.