Monday, August 2, 2010

Church Shopping: Part Two

Why is Church so Important Anyway? Do I Really Have to Go EVERY Week?

Part One of this series discussed finding a church home and which factors are important in determining how to find a great church to attend. So...what happens after we've found a church to call home? It's nice to have a place to go on special occasions and when it's convenient, but is it really necessary to attend church on a regular basis? What's the point?

It can be so difficult for me to pull myself out of bed on Sunday mornings. There are things I'd rather be doing, or work/chores I feel I should be doing instead. To be honest, I'm still not sure if I'll be able to keep myself committed to going to church every single week. However, I have come to an understanding that regular church attendance is, indeed, important.

When you think about it, you can get a lot out of  "T.V. church". You still get a great worship service, a thought-provoking message, and you may still come away with a deeper understanding of what it means to be a Christian. There is, however, one vital component missing-- Community.



"Let us not give up meeting together, as some are in the habit of doing, but let us encourage one another—and all the more as you see the Day approaching" (Hebrews 10:25 NIV)
"... so in Christ we who are many form one body, and each member belongs to all the others." (Romans 12:5 NIV)
"Now the body is not made up of one part but of many. If the foot should say, "Because I am not a hand, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. And if the ear should say, "Because I am not an eye, I do not belong to the body," it would not for that reason cease to be part of the body. If the whole body were an eye, where would the sense of hearing be? If the whole body were an ear, where would the sense of smell be? But in fact God has arranged the parts in the body, every one of them, just as he wanted them to be. If they were all one part, where would the body be? As it is, there are many parts, but one body.


The eye cannot say to the hand, "I don't need you!" And the head cannot say to the feet, "I don't need you!" On the contrary, those parts of the body that seem to be weaker are indispensable, and the parts that we think are less honorable we treat with special honor." (1 Corinthians 12:14-23 NIV)
One way I look at it is from the point of view of "what if everyone was a lazy as I am?" That is to say, what if all Christians decided that they didn't feel church was all that important anymore. What if they all decided to sleep in or take the day to catch up on chores? Where would the faith be at then? Where would the world be at then? Inevitably, the faith would fail.

While this is an extreme point of view, I think it illustrates a valid point. Even when I bring back to a more personal point of view, the importance of church involvement does become clear. How can I possibly learn to become a better Christian without the support of others? Expecting to grow as a Christian merely from watching TV evangelists and occasionally going to church is like a would-be athlete expecting to win olympic gold from watching sports and occasionally going out for a walk. An athlete needs active training. They need to get out there and actually practice their sport daily. In addition to practicing their sport, the athlete need others to help them along the way. They need trainers, experts, sponsors, supporters, etc. They cannot reach their full potential alone. In the same way, individual Christians need to live their faith on a daily basis. They also need the support and gifts of others to help them reach their full potential in Christ.

Ultimately, however, church is not there to serve me. I am supposed to be there to serve church. I am supposed to be there to contribute in the ways God has gifted me. I am supposed to contribute to the Church as much as the church is supposed to contribute to me. Not going to church on a regular basis is selfish as well as dangerous. It keeps others from benefiting from our gifts as well as keeps us from receiving the wisdom and support we need from others. We are created and meant to be part of a body, a community. Walking away from the body, means we are depriving the church of the important role we were meant to play.

The church is the bride of Christ! Christ loves the church dearly! He wants the church to be a single, unified entity... not a bunch of particles floating around aimlessly, hoping to randomly accomplish some good. 

This whole "contribution" thing can be scary though. Contributing requires I relinquish my spot as a wall-flower in the church and actively seek ways to get involved. I don't know about you, but that's a pretty intimidating thought. To be honest, I rather like my role as a pew-warmer... but that I know that has to change. I've just recently settled into a new church, so I'm just trying to focus on attending and getting over my fear of post-sermon chit-chats with my pew neighbors.

Contributing also means being vulnerable. The church is made up of imperfect people, and imperfect people do stupid things. We'll disagree. We'll hurt each other. We'll offend each other. But by the grace of God, we'll grow together. We'll forgive. We'll improve. We'll love after hurt.

However, I am commiting to you, dear reader, and to God that I will try to find ways to get involved. I'd ask for prayer and encouragement from you as this is something that will be difficult for me to do. When I do make it to church, I often make a quick dash for the exit when the service is over. It's difficult for me to strike up conversations with strangers!

The main thing is I've now taken the time to figure out for myself why it is so important to go to church on a regular basis and to get involved. I've come to a greater understanding as to what God designed church to be. I'm hoping you will join me in taking the next step in your Church-going... whatever that next step may be.

God,
Thank you for providing a safe place for me to learn about You and to serve You. Thank you for all the great people you've created and the uniqueness of everyone's gifts. It's good to know we all have a role to play in the Church. God, I ask that you please help me get over my shyness. Help me to be able to strike up conversations with people in the church and to find ways to get involved. Maybe...if you would... please also find someone in the church to seek me out too. It'd be nice to cross paths with someone who could help me find my place.
Help me also to stay motivated to attend church regularly. It's so easy to let my attendance slip when I'm tired or overwhelmed by other tasks. Help me to remember the importance of church that I've now discovered.
Thanks,
-Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.