Wednesday, August 11, 2010

A Loving God Exists in a Cruel World?

I've been re-reading Elie Wiesel's Night for the past couple days as I prepare to teach the text to my students this fall. For those of you who are not familiar with this book, it is the autobiographical account of Wiesel's survival as a Jewish teenager in a Nazi concentration camp. It is a heart-wrenching, beautifully written book. I would highly recommend it.

However, Wiesel poses some very difficult questions in his book. Here he was, a highly religious, completely devoted Jewish teenager of the 1940's ... when suddenly his faith is rocked (as anyone's would undoubtedly be) by the cruelty he endured at the hand of the Nazis. Wiesel could not comprehend how God--his God--could turn His back on the Jewish people and allow them to suffer so. Through it all, there were some who still praised the name of God, but Elie Wiesel became embittered and refused to praise the name of a God who was allowing such atrocities to happen.



This leads to the oft-used, nearly cliché question: How can God let bad things happen to good people? Many people have refused to believe in God (or turned their backs on Him thereafter) because they cannot believe in a God that allows this world's cruelty to go unchecked. They cannot believe in a God who allows Holocausts. Who allows cancer, the death of children, natural disasters, murder, torture... and countless other atrocities. How can this God of the Bible be "Good"? Be the God of Love? Be Benevolent, Merciful, and Kind? Surely this is the God of fairytales when we examine the cruel world around us...

However, the Bible didn't paint a picture of a perfect world where bad things never happen to good people. Much can be learned from Job, a man who lived thousands of years ago. He was a man of incredible faith. His faith in his God was so strong, that the Devil himself became keen on ruining him as an example of how weak the human race's faith was. God allowed Satan to do horrific things to Job--a man who had never been anything but good and faithful. Job lost loved ones, property, and his health. He was in unimaginable pain. At one point he is advised by his wife to just curse God so that he may die and the pain would be over. Job replied:


 "'You are talking like a foolish woman. Shall we accept good from God, and not trouble?' 
      In all this, Job did not sin in what he said." (Job 2:10 NIV)
Job brings up an interesting point here. Why do we expect that God would supply us only with happy, wonderful, easy times? Are we not acting like entitled children in such thinking? The bad times, even the horrific times, can serve a higher purpose. Job was able to understand this and through all his pain and anguish, he was still able to keep his faith that God had a plan for all this suffering.

I am not trying to minimize the horror or the pain of some of the trials people face--especially those like Elie Wiesel who faced one of the most abhorrent Evils the modern world has ever known. However, I am trying to encourage those whose faith is faltering, or even failing, because of the world's cruelty--do not turn your back on God. We all have our tough times... I've definitely had times in my life where my faith has faltered in the face of the world's cruelty. I did not understand how God could let some things happen. However, I came to understand that God loves us enough to give us free will and choice in our lives. How can we demand that He restrict people's free will when Holocausts happen, but demand He stay out of our business when we want to indulge in selfish exploits; lie, cheat, steal, gossip, covet, fornicate, etc. Who are we to order God around like a dog on a leash? To attack when it's convenient for us, but to sit and stay when told? 

I can't claim to know the mind of God. I honestly don't know why He allows for certain things to happen. What I do know, however, is that God ultimately loves us. He wants us to have faith in Him and to follow Him of our own free will. He has given us the gift of choice... and have allowed us the freedom to use that gift however we choose. The cruelty in this world is not God's choosing... it is ours. We choose to use our free will to harm those around us. We choose to use our free will to sit idly by when injustices happen around the world. It is our fault bad things happen. God has asked us to follow a Good path... and if we all followed that path, there would be no such thing as cruelty.

How fortunate we are that our God is also a merciful God... and He forgives us for abusing His gift. Even Hitler could have gone to Heaven if he had chosen to repent from his ways and throw himself on the mercy of God. This may be an uncomfortable thought for many to even consider. However, this happened in the Bible with Paul (Saul). Saul was the Hitler of his day. He murdered countless Christians. He was cruel and torturous for no other reason than they were Christians. But he eventually saw the error of his ways, found God, and became a key Biblical contributor. A living testament that God works miracles in bad times.

Next time I am going through a terrible time, or I witness the cruelty of the world. I hope God can give me the faith to trust in Him. To trust that He has things under control. To trust that there is a higher purpose to be served. I hope that I can have the faith to praise God through my pain.

I know there have been times in my past where my bitterness and anger caused my prayers to become choked in my throat... refusing to be said. I hope, by using Job as my example, I can have enough faith in the future to let my prayers fly free to God. And that they would be prayers of hope and not cursing.

This Stumbler wants to walk steady through the pain. If Jesus could suffer a crucifixion for me, the least I can do is suffer through the hard times and keep my faith in Him.

1 comment:

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.