Tuesday, August 31, 2010

Romans 13: Have You Been on Your Best Behavior?

"9Love your neighbor as yourself."10Love does no harm to its neighbor. Therefore love is the fulfillment of the law.
 11And do this, understanding the present time. The hour has come for you to wake up from your slumber, because our salvation is nearer now than when we first believed. 12The night is nearly over; the day is almost here. So let us put aside the deeds of darkness and put on the armor of light. "




What's the worst thing you've ever done or said to someone? How would you have felt if the Rapture had happened at that particular moment? If Jesus caught you at your worst? 

This chapter in Romans made me reflect on that possibility. I know I've said and done some pretty cruel things to friends and family members. I get caught up in my anger and let it boil over--treating those closest to me with malice rather than the Christ-like love I've been called to demonstrate. What if Jesus had walked through the door at that moment?

I don't know about you, but I would be pretty ashamed. I'd probably try to make some lame excuses (before remembering that Jesus is God and He knows all). I'd then hang my head in shame and beg for forgiveness. 

The End of Days could be right around the corner. For all we know, Jesus could be paying us a visit tonight. However, the fact is... that doesn't really matter. All too often we forget that God is always watching. We don't need Jesus to walk through the door to have our sins discovered and known by God. Why, then, don't we act in a manner that reflects the knowledge that God is indeed omnipotent and omni-present? Why do we so quickly forget and let our sinful actions get the best of us when we foolishly think no one is watching?

Loving people all the time isn't easy. That's why Paul calls us to "put on the armor of light." Living a life of Love is a fight. Not a fight with others, but a fight within ourselves. We must protect ourselves from sin and fight to live a Christ-led life. Our sinful nature wants us to look out for #1... to do what feels good, what is selfishly advantageous to us.... however, our Christian nature, led by the Holy Spirit, demands us to be stronger than that. We are to love those who are hateful. Be kind to those who are cruel. Be helpful to the selfish. 

It's not easy--boy, do I know it's not easy! All too often I relax my guard... take my armor off....and faster than a flash, sin takes over and I'm lashing out and behaving badly. I need to stay focused and always remember that God is watching. I shouldn't need Jesus walking in through the door to keep me on my best behavior. I should be living a life of Love in honour of God daily. That way, I can be assured that when Jesus does come back I won't be put to shame by sinful behavior. I will be confident in the life I've led up to and including that final moment. I will be rewarded for my life of Love, rather than judged for my sinful actions. 


God, 
Help me to keep my armor on, my guard up, and standing strong in a life of Love. I am sorry for my past bad behavior. Please help me to always choose loving actions and reactions. I don't want any regrets or shame in my life when it's my time to stand before you and answer for my actions.
Thank you,
-Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.