Sunday, August 29, 2010

Sunday Sprint: My Selfish Request

When anxiety was great within me, your consolation brought joy to my soul.
Psalm 94:19 NIV

Cast all your anxiety on him because he cares for you.
1 Peter 5:7 NIV




Hey Stumblers! 
I need your prayers this week. The ever-present pothole in my life's path has been anxiety. I struggle with it almost on a daily basis, but by God's grace I am usually able to keep it under control. This week my anxiety has been exceptionally bad, however. I can't just pray it away. I can't ignore it. Deep breaths aren't ridding me of it. Nothing seems to be working. 

I know that there is no reason to worry (in fact I wrote a blog post about it)... however my body does not seem to listen to logic and my faith seems to be too weak to simply "cast it onto God." Through it all, my heart still chooses to race, my mind chooses to spin, and my adrenaline chooses to pump. I can't seem to catch my breath and I have been having trouble sleeping. 

I've been struggling to understand why God doesn't free me from my anxiety. I have to believe it is my own failing as the Bible says, "the mind controlled by the Spirit is life and peace" (Romans 8:6 NIV) and Jesus promised  "Peace I leave with you; my peace I give you. I do not give to you as the world gives. Do not let your hearts be troubled and do not be afraid." (John 14:27 NIV). My faith is small. Just like Simon Peter, I let my lack of faith allow me to sink into the crashing waves rather than rising above. 

This is my struggle. This is my stumble. I would like to selfishly ask you pray for me. My faith is apparently too weak for my prayers alone to allow me to overcome this struggle. However, I know that with your help I can overcome this, as Jesus said, "I tell you that if two of you on earth agree about anything you ask for, it will be done for you by my Father in heaven." (Matthew 18:19 NIV). I hope you can come together in agreement with me and pray that this anxiety has a dangerous stronghold in my life. I need you to pray that God would give me the faith to trust in Him so I have no reason to worry, and that He would remove anxiety from my body, mind, and heart completely --today and forevermore. 

Thank you, Stumblers. I would encourage those of you who have prayer requests of your own to submit them  in the comments section so that I can return the favour and pray for you in your struggles. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.