Tuesday, August 10, 2010

Protecting Knock-Off Jewels

I have a thing for sparkley things. I'll often stop by jewelry stores to window shop. My eyes become dazzled by the array of shimmering objects before me. I will begin to imagine what this ring or that ring would look like on my finger. I'll admire the craftsmanship of a delicately and artfully constructed pendant. Occasionally, with minimal encouragement from the sales staff, I'll allow myself to give in and try a couple pieces on. I'll turn my hand this way and that, mesmerized by the way the light dances in perfectly cut diamonds.



My husband has clued into my keen admiration for these glimmering artifacts. In fact, he has even bought me a couple beautiful pieces for me to call my own. However, with the exception of my engagement ring, these pieces rarely see the light of day. My husband, irritated that he had spent so much money on jewelry that spends more time in a safe box than on my body, asked me why I never wore his beautiful gifts. I always have the same reply: They are too expensive for me to lose! I'm afraid if I put them on they might break or slip off and I'll never see them again!

I am most certainly aware of the irony of my actions. My precious diamonds will be tucked safely away for months on end, and in their place I will wear cheap $10 necklaces and costume jewelry to give me the "flair" I desire without having to worry about the "real" thing getting lost or stolen.

This real-life story brought the following verses to mind:
"Do not store up for yourselves treasures on earth, where moth and rust destroy, and where thieves break in and steal." (Matthew 6:19 NIV)
"Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 19:23 NIV) 
The problem with possessions, as I have illustrated above, is that the more you have...the more you have to worry about! I really would like to have nice things in life... and that by itself isn't necessarily wrong... but when I become obsessed with attaining and protecting assets, it is easy for my time to become consumed with material things, rather than on relationships.

I am reminded of a story my husband and I heard at church a couple weeks ago. A woman shared a story about a friend who was jaded with a different church in a small rural community. This church had saved and saved and finally God had provided enough to bless them with a beautiful grand piano for their worship services. A few weeks after receiving their piano, they received a call from a secular charity who was holding a fundraiser for a local children's disability group. This charity had already arranged for a pianist to play at this charity event--to be held in a prestigious mansion in town. They had also hired a professional moving company to move and tune the piano. However, since it was a small town, this church owned the only grand piano in town!

After waiting days for the church to return their call, the charity finally received their answer... No. The piano was just too valuable an item for the church to risk lending out to anyone. And so the charity event had to cancel their piano concert. The children's disability group went without their fundraiser.

This church missed the mark. As do so many other people. Our possessions are worthless if they are not used for God's glory. Chasing after possessions only to "keep" them, only to "have" them is a meaningless ambition in life. The Bible makes it explicitly clear... we can't take our possessions with us, and there is no prize for having the biggest and best toys. We should do everything in our power to make sure that we pass on the blessings God has given us. How often are relationships wounded because a material possession was lost/broken? How many children have shed tears because their parents seemed to care more about an accidentally broken ornament than the child?

So is it a sin to have nice things? No... not necessarily. Owning a big house is not a sin... refusing to lend out rooms to visiting missionaries and having your big house sit pristine and empty, on the other hand....might be considered sinful. Owning pretty jewelry is not a sin... sacrificing much needed funds to purchase said jewelry, probably is.

I often need to do some soul-searching myself. The biggest question we need to ask ourselves is: "Am I willing to give this up if God asks me to?" It is sometimes gut wrenching to think of having to give up one's house... car...clothing...jewelry etc. I know for me, personally, it definitely is a painful thought! I'd be heartbroken! I can definitely empathize with the young man in this passage:


"Now a man came up to Jesus and asked, "Teacher, what good thing must I do to get eternal life?"
 17"Why do you ask me about what is good?" Jesus replied. "There is only One who is good. If you want to enter life, obey the commandments."
 18"Which ones?" the man inquired.
   Jesus replied, " 'Do not murder, do not commit adultery, do not steal, do not give false testimony, 19honor your father and mother,'[d] and 'love your neighbor as yourself.'[e]"
 20"All these I have kept," the young man said. "What do I still lack?"
 21Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."
 22When the young man heard this, he went away sad, because he had great wealth.
 23Then Jesus said to his disciples, "I tell you the truth, it is hard for a rich man to enter the kingdom of heaven."  (Matthew 19:16-23 NIV)
 Notice, however, that Jesus said it is "hard" for a rich man to go to heaven... not "impossible". It is hard because those that have many possessions have many worries for their possessions. Often their priorities get jumbled up and the are more concerned with attaining and protecting their wealth than they are with sharing their blessings with others.

(To be fair, Jesus was also making a point about the fact that no one is perfect. No one can get into Heaven by their own power... but that's blog post for another day!) 


So what about my diamonds? I'm not wrong to own them. I may be wrong for wanting them. And I am definitely wrong to fret over them. My time and energy should not be focused on attaining and protecting wealth. My time and energy should be focused on building relationships and doing God's will... storing up treasures in heaven. Ask any investor and they'll tell you to go for long term returns, rather than short term. It is essential that I use this short, fleeting life to deposit as much "treasure" in heaven, rather than squandering it on material wealth that will disappear.  I don't need to worry about keeping my heavenly treasures in a safe. I can fully enjoy them once this life is done, and perhaps even reap some joy from them now. At any rate, the sparkling jewels of the Spirit--- love, joy, peace, patience, gentleness, goodness, faith, meekness, and self-control---are much more worthy of my awe and coveting than the cheap knock-offs this world has to offer. I think I'm going to ask my husband to help me attain those from now on. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.