Monday, October 18, 2010

Withdrawing to Draw Near to God

 "Very early in the morning, while it was still dark, Jesus got up, left the house and went off to a solitary place, where he prayed."
Mark 1:35



Silence. To some, silence is a scary thing. It is a cold loneliness. An uneasiness. Unsafe. However, to others, there is beauty in silence. It is like a warm embrace. A refuge. A retreat. A Holy place.  

Jesus exemplified what it was like to draw near to God through solitude and simplicity. Yes, Jesus would often be in community with others. Yes, he sought to reach out to others and cultivate relationships with them. However, I truly believe that Jesus found God's presence the best in solitude. Whenever he needed to have a serious chat with his Dad, Jesus left his friends behind and sought solitude.

Solitude and simplicity go hand in hand. To be alone is to be away from distraction. I think many of those who find God's presence best through solitude also find it necessary to live simply. Possessions cause distractions. Possessions cause worry and stress. A person with nothing has nothing to worry about but sustaining life and relationship with God (which, in many ways, are one in the same). Jesus had nothing but the clothes on his back. If God led him to a new city, Jesus merely had to put his sandals on and started walking. It is so difficult for those of us who are rooted by possessions--a house, car, job, items big and small--to pick up (or leave) everything and follow God. 

I can really understand why some people find God's presence in solitude and simplicity. There truly is nothing between you and God then. I wish I had the faith to live that way. I know that I am guilty of letting so many things get between me and my Heavenly Father. Even if I am in solitude, I will sometimes let my loneliness get between me and my God. 

But, really, why should I be lonely? The God of the Universe is with me. Why should I worry about my possessions? I can't take them with me when God calls me Home... and, besides, I'm sure God has much better things waiting for me in Heaven than iPhones and two-car garages.

This Stumbler is retreating to solitude to find companionship with her God. Less, as they say, is more. So much more. 







**This post is a post in my "Drawing Near to God" series inspired by Gary Thomas' book Sacred Pathways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.