Thursday, October 21, 2010

Drawing Near to God through Activism

"In the temple courts [Jesus] found men selling cattle, sheep and doves, and others sitting at tables exchanging money. So he made a whip out of cords, and drove all from the temple area, both sheep and cattle; he scattered the coins of the money changers and overturned their tables. To those who sold doves he said, "Get these out of here! How dare you turn my Father's house into a market!""
John 2:14-16



Have you ever had something in society make you downright angry? A social injustice that just broke your heart or made your blood boil? Perhaps it's poverty in Africa. Abortion in the big city. Corruption in governments. Domestic abuse. Environment.

Whatever the case may be, there is plenty in this world to stir a Christian's heart into a righteous anger. For some people it is this righteous passion for fighting for justice that allows them to find the presence of God. While some people find God in church, others find God on at the protest rally. 

I admire people who turn their righteous anger into productive action. All too often we (myself included) become apathetic to the injustices and sins of the world around us. Sure, we may get a little emotional---a little teary-eyed or riled up---at the stories of injustice that are brought to our attention in our day-to-day life. However, most of us never take it past that step. We get a little emotional... perhaps share a word or two with a close friend over coffee... but that's it. It takes a special person to put words into action. 

For those of you who are gifted in this area or have been called to find God's presence through activism, I commend you. I hope that I'll find the courage within me to take action the next time an injustice stirs my soul. Who knows? Maybe this Stumbler will be standing at your side at your next rally. 



God,

Thank you for your love and mercy... but thank you also for your anger. Give me a heart that mirrors yours. Make my heart joyful at what brings you joy, sad at what brings you sadness, and angry at what brings you anger. Stir my heart to match yours and give me the courage and strength to take action when you call me to do so.

In Jesus' name I pray always,
Amen.





**This post is in my "Drawing Near to God" series inspired by Gary Thomas' book Sacred Pathways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.