Sunday, October 3, 2010

Sunday Sprint: Living by the Spirit

"So I say, live by the Spirit, and you will not gratify the desires of the sinful nature." 
Galatians 5:16
NIV



My pastor's sermon centered around this verse today. I fully admit, and the entire focus of this blog, is the fact that I am an imperfect Christian. I stumble. I struggle with my faith and living a Christ-like, Spirit-filled, Godly life. 

However, this passage in scripture, as my pastor stated offers us "the most audacious promise" the Bible has to offer. The fact of the matter is, if I'm stumbling, I'm not living by the Spirit. Which is to say, if I'm living by the Spirit, I will NOT stumble. 

Quite the food for thought, isn't it? 

If I am following the Holy Spirit's lead and living according to God's will, the fruits of the spirit (joy, peace, love, patience, kindness, gentleness, goodness, faithfulness, and self-control) will be evidenced in how I live my life everyday. I will be actively demonstrating these "fruits" if the Spirit is firmly "planted" within me and I am allowing Him to cultivate my life. 

This is not to say that I will never have bad days. I will be tempted. There will be tough times. However, this scripture promises me (and all believers) that if I am following the Holy Spirit's lead, I will not succumb to temptations or "bad days". I will not sin. I will not "gratify the desires of my sinful nature." 

I truly hope that while this Stumbler may have many tough days ahead, she will never ever fall to sin. I pray that God's Holy Spirit will fill me up to the brim so that all my words, actions, thoughts, and feelings will be by His leading---not at the whim of my sinful nature. 

Praise the God who can make imperfect people into perfect creations. Praise the God who can make Stumblers, like me, graceful in their Walk. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.