Monday, October 11, 2010

Drawing Near to God Through Senses

 "Let them praise his name with dancing and make music to him with tambourine and harp" 
Psalm 149:3

"He will yet fill your mouth with laughter and your lips with shouts of joy."
Job 8:21

"The LORD will march out like a mighty man, like a warrior he will stir up his zeal"
Isaiah 42:13

"Never be lacking in zeal, but keep your spiritual fervor, serving the Lord."
Romans 12:11



Have you ever felt the presence of God? The undeniable, overwhelming, exhilarating, yet humbling feeling that God is with you? While I always know that God is with me, it is an amazing experience to feel that truth. In exploring today's theme of drawing near to God through the senses, I came across many examples in the Bible of the emotions people felt when they drew near to God. However, none summed up the sensual experience of feeling God as the words "zeal" and "fervor".

I looked up both of these words and they were both synonymous with "great warmth and earnestness of feeling". In other words, being "on fire" for the Lord, burning with passion for Him. The best way I can explain it is that it is kind of like falling in love... you feel your heart flutter with excitement and joy, you feel a little awkward as you try to make a good impression, and you feel like you would do anything--anything--for the object of your affections. However, when this feeling of fervor washes over me in the presence of God it is different somehow... bigger... Holy. 

Some people draw near to God best in this way. By seeking and maintaining this feeling. While I personally am in awe and am invigorated by the presence of God, I have a difficult time maintaining this feeling. I've found that by seeking this feeling as the main source of affirmation of my faith, that my faith falters in the bad times when I can no longer maintain the good feelings.

However, other people have no trouble maintaining the feelings of joy, awe, zeal and fervor. It is the way they best draw close to God. I am ashamed to say that I have often judged those overcome with spiritual fervor in a charismatic church service as being "fake"... and while I am sure there are those who are putting on a "show", I've come to realize that I am actually envious of their passion. I wish I could maintain those strong feelings. I wish that I could feel the presence of God like that all of the time. 

We each draw close to God in different ways. It is such a gift when God draws so close that he touches our hearts, when his Holy Spirit washes over us and we are able to truly feel his warmth. 

It certainly brings tears of joy to this Stumbler's eyes.




**This post is the second post in my "Drawing Near to God" series inspired by Gary Thomas' book Sacred Pathways. 



1 comment:

  1. Warming up in His presence... such a soothing picture!
    I've enjoyed books by Gary, so good!

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.