Monday, December 13, 2010

Call to ACTION

  “As for you, son of man, your people are talking together about you by the walls and at the doors of the houses, saying to each other, ‘Come and hear the message that has come from the LORD.’  My people come to you, as they usually do, and sit before you to hear your words, but they do not put them into practice. Their mouths speak of love, but their hearts are greedy for unjust gain.  Indeed, to them you are nothing more than one who sings love songs with a beautiful voice and plays an instrument well, for they hear your words but do not put them into practice."
Ezekiel 33:31-32



Sometimes church becomes a ritual. While there is nothing inherently wrong with ritual, sometimes it can lull people into a false sense of security. This seems to be especially true this time of year. People who never go to church any other time in the year will often attend at Christmastime. People get caught up in the the traditions of the season and forget what Christmas is really all about.

We get so focused on a baby in a manger, angels singing in the sky, and wise men bearing precious gifts that we forget what it all points to--a Savior who was tortured and died to pay a price we couldn't. To offer Himself as a sinless sacrifice for our sins. To rise again three days later to give us hope of eternal life. To reconcile us with God.

We have been called to live our lives to reflect these truths. We aren't supposed to just celebrate God ritualistically a few times a year. Church isn't supposed to give us warm fuzzy feelings of nostalgia. We are expected to do so much more than offer the cursory responses and "churchy" gestures. We are called to live authentic Godly lives. 

We have been warned that our lives will be difficult. All too often, however, we hide behind our traditions and rituals. We put on a smiley face and "play nice" with other church members only to get back to "real life" after leaving the service. We live our lives as fakes. We take part in church as a force of habit... to comfort ourselves... to reassure ourselves that we're doing the bare minimum. 

I really don't want to face God on Judgement Day and lay claim to the "bare minimum." I want to make my Father proud. It is so difficult to live my life consistently, day-by-day, in pursuit of a Godly life (I so often fail miserably!); but I know that it truly is the least I can do. Jesus paid an inconceivable price for me. He paid a debt far beyond what I could have ever hoped to pay back. I want to make sure I do my best to thank Him for that. I was to do His will. I want to live how he has asked me to live. 

Time to walk the talk. Really. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.