Thursday, December 9, 2010

Are You God-Centered or Self-Centered?

"Some trust in chariots and some in horses, but we trust in the name of the Lord our God" 
-Psalm 20:7

"Turn my heart toward your statutes and not toward selfish gain."
-Psalm 119: 36

"For where you have envy and selfish ambition, there you will find disorder and every evil practice."
-James 3:16



In continuing my journey through the workbook Experiencing God (Blackaby), I came across a very revealing list. Do any of these apply to you?

-Do you look out for #1?
-Are you proud of yourself and your accomplishments?
-Are you self-confident?
-Do you rely on your abilities?
-Do you affirm yourself? 
-Do you analyze circumstances based on your or others' experiences?
-Do you try to obtain a comfortable life for yourself?

My initial reaction in reading this list was... well, yeah! Some of those don't sound so bad. It's good to be self-confident... to "believe in yourself". Of course, I'm proud of my accomplishments! Isn't everyone? I've worked hard for my achievements! Why shouldn't I be proud?

Well, reality came tumbling down on top of me like a sack of bricks when I read the heading to the above list: "A Self-Centered Life." The verse that came to mind as I read this was  1 Corinthians 3:18-19 "Do not deceive yourselves. If any of you think you are wise by the standards of this age, you should become “fools” so that you may become wise. For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God’s sight." The "self-centered life" sounds so normal and acceptable because it is--by the world's standards. We are taught from a very young age to be proud of ourselves and to believe in ourselves---to look out for "numero uno." The fact of the matter is, that is utter "foolishness" to the God of the Universe who sees us for what we truly are--weak, feeble, foolish creatures who act like stubborn, selfish little children. We pride ourselves in our worldly accomplishments, when really, what value do any of our accomplishments have when measured against God's Holy and Eternal Standard?

If we want to know and follow God's will, we are required to deny ourselves and put Him at the center of our lives, so that we can answer "yes" to these questions instead:
-Do you place all your confidence in God?
-Do you depend on God to provide?
-Are you completely focused on God and what He is doing?
-Are you humble before God?
-Do you deny yourself?
-Do you seek God's will and righteousness FIRST?
-Do you seek God's perspective in EVERY circumstance?
-Do you live a holy and Godly life?
-Do you do everything for God's glory rather than your own?

At first glance, most Christians will nod their heads and give a cursory "Christianly" response, "But of course!" However, we when we look closely at that list and honestly reflect on what it's asking, it becomes very clear that most of us aren't living up to God's standards. Do we really live our lives day-by-day, minute-by-minute in the pursuit of bringing God glory? Or do we instead live our lives in pursuit of our own success, accomplishments, and comfort? 

I have to admit, when my eyes are opened to the truth as to what doing God's will truly involves, I get more than a little scared. God asked Noah to build a big boat in a desert and trust that it would come in handy. He asked his disciples to stop what they were doing and simply follow without any further explanation. He asked Moses to lead millions of Israelites out of Egypt. He asked Abram to simply pack up everything he owned and go to a land that God would reveal later...

...Our God is not a God of detailed explanation. He expects his followers to do just that--follow. He requires faithfulness. He gives just enough information to guide us in the right direction, but he expects us to do the subsequent footwork. God could ask me to do anything, and I can pretty much guarantee that He's not going to give a lot of details when He does ask. I just hope and pray that I have the faith to take the steps required of me... the courage to look "foolish" to those around me in order to make the Wise choice by God's standard.



God,
I truly do want to have you at the center of my life. I want you to be the motivation for my every thought, word, and action. But as you said, "the spirit is willing, but the flesh is weak." Help me to have the faith and courage to take the steps you set out for me. I am both excited and afraid of what you might ask, but I know that ultimately anything You ask is Good. 
Thank you,
Me

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.