Thursday, September 23, 2010

Ruth 2: Perseverance Rewarded

10 At this, she bowed down with her face to the ground. She exclaimed, "Why have I found such favor in your eyes that you notice me—a foreigner?





I would encourage you to read through the book of Ruth with me as I explore it. Today I read through Ruth 2 and had a difficult time picking out a verse or two to share with you. You really must read the whole book and chapter to get the proper context.

However, today as I read Ruth 2 I was struck by Ruth's perseverance and Boaz's generosity. Ruth was literally picking up the scraps that the other harvesters left behind in order to feed her mother-in-law and herself. She was a foreigner and had no hope of getting a job working the fields when there were locals who needed work. But she didn't let this stop her. She risked being harassed, abused, and perhaps even killed to find food for her mother-in-law, who was too old to work.

This courage and perseverance caught Boaz's eye and he specifically told his workers to leave Ruth alone and even leave a few extra scraps for her to take along the way. He invited Ruth to stay on his field so that he could ensure her safety and comfort. 

I pray for both Ruth's perseverance and Boaz's kindheartedness. I pray that God would give me the strength to brave life's hardships and to keep working hard for the important things in life. And when my life is going well, I pray that God would give me Boaz's eye for those in need of a kind heart and a generous hand.

Thank you, God, for being there for me. Thank you for picking me up when I start stumbling. Help me to keep persevering like Ruth, Lord. God, I also ask that you'd open my eyes to my fellow stumblers on Life's road. Help me to take the time to help them as Boaz helped Ruth. 
Thank you, God.
-Me.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.