Saturday, September 4, 2010

2012: End of Days?


"1 You should know this, Timothy, that in the last days there will be very difficult times. 2 For people will love only themselves and their money. They will be boastful and proud, scoffing at God, disobedient to their parents, and ungrateful. They will consider nothing sacred. 3 They will be unloving and unforgiving; they will slander others and have no self-control. They will be cruel and hate what is good. 4 They will betray their friends, be reckless, be puffed up with pride, and love pleasure rather than God. 5 They will act religious, but they will reject the power that could make them godly. Stay away from people like that!" (2 Timothy 3:1-5 NLT)

I'm not really interested in getting into a debate about whether or not 2012 is the year to end all years. I personally think it's a waste of time to try and pinpoint the day of Armageddon, as the bible makes it clear that no one can know that. However, this particular passage makes me feel like the Last Day can't be all that far away.

When I look at the world around me, I see all of the signs described in the passage above. We live in sinful times. In no other time in history have people had so little respect for the sacred. In this "New Age" people can be exceptionally "spiritual" without making a commitment to anything. They "act religious, but reject the power that could make them godly." 

Selfishly, I hope the End Times are indeed close. I really don't want to see the world get any worse than it already is. I really would love to be interrupted in the middle of this post by Jesus Christ announcing his return to this world...putting an end to time and beginning eternity. But, alas, I am still writing. This post has been published.

My own selfishness aside, my feelings that we are indeed living among the last generations of time also make me sad and concerned for those who do not believe. Time is running out. Decisions need to be made. However, I know too many friends who are living lives in pursuit of selfish pleasure and putting off their commitment to a godly life. They believe that they should be able to live life as they please now, and maybe in a couple decades they'll worry about their souls. 

We are warned to "stay away from people like that", but at the same time we are called to help them hear the Truth. How do we do both? The line is drawn at decision time. If a person rejects your invitation to learn about Salvation and chooses to continue down their chosen path, there is nothing more you can do until God speaks to their heart. Pursuing them in their choice will only result in you running further and further down the wrong path. Our job is to meet people at the crossroads in their lives and invite them to choose the Right Path. We are not to run after people when they choose to go down the wrong path and attempt to drag them back with us. This will not work out well for either person involved.

I become more and more convinced every day that the Last Day is very close. While I am excited for the fulfillment of my own faith, I am sad for those who have chosen the wrong path. I can imagine their despair on That Day when they realize that they put off their Salvation for too long. That they made the wrong choice.


In the meantime, I will try my best to be available to extend an invitation to people when they reach the crossroads in their lives, however I must be careful not to chase after them if they make the wrong choice.

God,
I feel like your chosen day is near. Anyone with eyes and ears can recognize the signs that are so obvious and prevalent in our world. We must have far surpassed Sodom and Gomorrah in our disregard for You. I am looking forward to the Day you end time, but I ask that you please help people hear and heed your invitation and warnings. Help them understand that they don't have time to put off their decision. Once they choose a path, there may not be another crossroads ahead. 
Help me to be confident and available to invite those who are ready. But God, please help me to stay faithful and not get caught up in the sins of others. Don't let me mess up when we're this close to the end.
Thank-you
-Me




No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.