Thursday, November 11, 2010

Ultimate Sacrifice

"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends."
John 15:13



Whether you agree with war or not, I think we can all agree with the above verse. Today I wanted to take the time to remember those who have fought and died for me and my country. There have been countless men and women who have fought in wars and sacrificed everything so that I could live in a country where I was free... free to speak my mind, free to go to school, free to worship my God.

While it seems like the fighting never ends and it doesn't always seem like we're fighting for the right reasons, today is not about declaring our support for war. Today is about declaring our gratitude for those who died to give us a better life.

Similarly, I am reminded of the One who also sacrificed everything---my true Savior, Jesus Christ. Jesus lay his life down so that I could be truly free---free from sin, free from condemnation, free to enter into a personal and intimate relationship with God. Jesus devastated his enemy with his love for us. 

Be thankful for the earthly freedoms your soldiers earned for you with their blood. Remember their sacrifice.

But today, also, be thankful for the complete Freedom your Saviour bought for us with His untainted blood. Remember His Sacrifice. Remember his Triumph. 

Lest we forget. Lest we grow apathetic. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.