Monday, November 1, 2010

Drawing Near to God through Contemplation



“Remember, LORD, how I have walked before you faithfully and with wholehearted devotion and have done what is good in your eyes.”
-2 Kings 20:3

"And we all, who with unveiled faces contemplate the Lord’s glory, are being transformed into his image with ever-increasing glory, which comes from the Lord, who is the Spirit."
-2 Corinthians 3:18

"Great are the works of the LORD; they are pondered by all who delight in them"
-Psalm 111:2

"Mary treasured up all these things and pondered them in her heart."
-Luke 2:19


con·tem·plate

[kon-tuhm-pleyt, -tem-] 
verb, -plat·ed, -plat·ing.
–verb (used with object)
1.
to look at or view with continued attention; observe or study thoughtfully





I don't know about you, but when I stop---really stop---and think---really think---about everything God has done, is doing, and will do... it's enough to bring me to my knees with tears in my eyes. Contemplating my Father... my God... leaves me in awe. It leaves me humbled and grateful. It leaves me (to be cliché) ... breathless. 

My God is AMAZING. He made the something as vast as the Universe, as humble as mud, and as amusing as a proboscis monkey (see below)


Contemplation is one of the ways I find God's presence best. But it requires a lot of time and quiet for me to find Him because there is so much in this world to distract me and get in the way. Worries about tomorrow...a "can't miss" T.V. show on... a pile of chores that needs to be caught up on. It is so easy to become sidetracked from the most important thing in my life---my relationship with God. 

However, when I actually take the time to scold myself, put things in perspective, and take a timeout with God... soul-changing things happen. God draws near to me. He opens his heart and pours out his love, mercy, and peace and absolutely drenches me in his Spirit. My heart soars, my mind reels, and my soul is renewed. 

During these times, when I focus on God and ponder everything he's done... the only words that seem to form on my lips are: thank you. It seems like such a pitifully insignificant thing to say to the God of the Universe... but it is all my overflowing heart can get my baffled mind to say. 

Thank you, God.
Thank you.
-Me.



Think about it. Really. 






**This post is in my "Drawing Near to God" series inspired by Gary Thomas' book Sacred Pathways. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.