Sunday, January 2, 2011

Sunday Sprint: Resolving to Love

"For you have been called to live in freedom, my brothers and sisters. But don’t use your freedom to satisfy your sinful nature. Instead, use your freedom to serve one another in love."
Galatians 5:13 (NLT)


I've been reflecting a lot lately on love. It seems like the entire Biblical message can be boiled down to that single deceptively simple word. God's love for his people. God's love for his son. God expecting his children to love one another and him. To quote the Beatles... perhaps "all you need is love." 

It's easy to say. It's easy to post it in fancy cursive on plaques and walls... but it is oh-so difficult to live out on a daily basis. God has freed us from our sin. We have been given a complete freedom unlike any other. Why is it so difficult for us to thank Jesus for settling our insurmountable debt by loving him, the Father, and each other?

This New Year, I'm resolving to love my Father with the love he deserves for saving me, loving me, and forgiving me. I'm also resolving to live my life minute-by-minute with a heart of love for others. It won't be easy. I have a case of chronic selfishness and am afflicted with bouts of anger and impatience. I just pray that God will transform my heart to be like His, so that I can love like Him. 

“‘Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” 
Matthew 22: 37-39

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.