Thursday, February 28, 2013

Truth: One Religion


Jesus answered, “I am the way and the truth and the life. No one comes to the Father except through me.” –John 14:6


After a person explores the basic question of “God or No God?”, the next logical step is to explore “What God do I believe in?” There is definitely no shortage of choices in our big, creative world! There are many world religions and quite a handful of significant religions with many followers. How then do we decide which religion is “right”?

First off, we need to acknowledge the existence of truth. We cannot simply say truth is subjective or that there is no absolute truth (an argument which, at its core, is self-defeating!). There are many religions and they often contradict each other. Buddhism is agnostic. Judaism and Islam deny Jesus’ divinity. Hinduism believes in millions of gods. Mormonism and Jehovah Witnesses deny the 3-in-1 Trinity and complete divinity of Christ. These religions cannot all be true. This is an innate impossibility. So then, a choice must be made. Which one do I believe is THE truth?

I believe Christianity is the right and true religion for many reasons, which I will be exploring in-depth in subsequent posts, so this post is merely an overview of what's to come. First, I believe Christianity is true because Jesus is an historically proven man. He existed. His life, execution, and the effects thereafter are corroborated outside of the bible in historical documents. We know he existed, which is a great first step towards truth.

Secondly, I believe Jesus not only existed but was, in fact, God—as he claimed—because he fulfilled many prophesies foretold long before he was even born. It is statistically impossible that Jesus fulfilled these prophesies to completion--or, in other words, a miracle. It could only be, in my opinion, a divinely orchestrated event.

I also believe in Jesus and Christianity because of the tenacity of his followers and their witness throughout history. Jesus’ life had many witnesses, and they had no reason to stick to a “made-up” story after his death…so they must have stuck to the truth--at a great personal cost to many of them!

Lastly, and most subjectively, I believe in Jesus and Christianity because of the effect it has had on my life. The mini-miracles performed in my life. The personal and real relationship I have with God and Christ. The last reason may be very personal, but I believe a personal relationship with God is the ultimate proving ground of faith.

Please stick with me as I dig into the details of each of these reasons!



*This was part 3 of 7 in the "Why Believe?" series.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.