Monday, June 11, 2012

Why Read the Bible EVERY day?

Something I've struggled to do a lot over the years (and probably a large reason why I'm "Stumbling" so often) is  committing to read the Bible EVERY day. There have been times in my life, some extended periods, where I would read the Bible everyday. I would get my hands on some awesome new devotional... or I would resolve to read through a book or two... or I would try to read the whole Bible. But, more often than not, my Bible remains closed.


I'm not exactly sure why I find reading the Bible so difficult and/or tiresome at times... perhaps that's the Devil's plan---to convince me that it's too hard to read the Bible, or perhaps too time-consuming. Whatever the case, some days I look at my Bible and heave a big sigh and give up before I even start. I'll leave it to gather dust, while I opt to Facebook or Pinterest instead (how did those become verbs in my life? I should resolve to make "Bible" a verb instead!).

I'll still pray; I'll talk to God. But then I wonder why He seems so far away. I'll cry out in sorrow or frustration and feel so alone, feel like He's not there. As a teacher, I should know better! It's so frustrating when my students ask silly questions that I've already answered, or if they ask what they're supposed to be doing when I've written the directions on the paper in front of them! I'll often say, in exasperation, "I just answered that!" or "Read the directions!"


I can imagine God must get similar feelings of frustration and exasperation with me! How often do I ask Him silly questions or for directions, when the answers to my questions are written down right in front of me? Perhaps He, like a teacher, is choosing not to answer me until I've taken the time to read the directions first.

The Bible is God's instruction manual. His directions. His Word. So, is it necessary to read the Bible? Absolutely. Should I be reading it everyday? If I have questions, I should always start there; otherwise I can expect God to be silent in my prayers while pointing expectantly at His Directions. Like any good teacher, God is more than willing to help His children, His students; however, he does expect us to read the directions first. He's not going to do our "homework" for us, but he will help us if we've already read the directions and are struggling to understand. That is how learning happens. That is how true growth happens.





2 comments:

  1. I like the idea of "verbing" bible!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks a lot for writing about Bible. I thing everyone should have a passion to know God. It should not be something that you do in your spare time. If you believe in God and haven't read the Bible then you lived nothing.

    Regards,
    Church Supply Store

    ReplyDelete

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.