Saturday, November 26, 2011

Chronically Distracted

I was reading through my old blog posts today, trying to find inspiration for a communion message that I will be leading in church tomorrow, and I found that inspiration in my very first post to this blog (found here).  After reading the post that inspired this blog in the first place, I'm beginning to think I have a chronic case of Distraction. I went from passionately posting on a daily basis... to dwindling down to a few times a week... to perhaps monthly...

I had 84 posts in 2010. And 9 in 2011.



Most people would say, "who cares?" It's just a blog, after all. It's not like it's my job. I'm not getting paid to do it. It's a hobby. Hobbies come and go, right?

Well, the embarrassing confession I have to make is that this blog served as my reflective devotional. That steep decline in posts also shows a steep decline in my focus on my personal relationship with God. Sure, I go to church every week. Sure, I pray nearly every day. But my prayers have become short and selfish ("God, help me find my iPhone...") and church becomes a brief (and guilty) reminder of my starving soul.

It's time to resuscitate this flat-lining blog... and, by extension, my flat-lining spiritual life. I will open my Bible and I will nourish my anorexic spirit. I will talk to God instead of at Him. I will use this blog as a reflective tool to keep me on track.

"Martha was distracted by all the preparations that had to be made...'Martha, Martha,' the Lord answered, 'you are worried and upset about many things, but few things are needed--or indeed only one.'"  -Luke 10:40-41 NIV

Just call me Martha.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I appreciate any feedback you can offer. Please share your thoughts, prayers, advice, etc.